Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Cafe Terrace on the Place du Forum


The Cafe Terrace on the Place du Forum is a painting by van Gogh created in 1888. It is oil on canvas. This painting really speaks to me because it reminds me of my travels to Italy. Although this painting was from a cafe in France, I feel that it looks very similar to places that I have traveled to in Italy. The way that van Gogh painted the picture makes it seem like you are standing there on the side of the road looking down the alley at all that is going on. This was the first painting in which van Gogh used the starry night effect, which I think is amazing because it elludes to the beginning of one of his most famous paintings, Starry Night. I also think that it is interesting how if you go to this exact cafe now it is now called Cafe van Gogh in honor of the artist that depicted this quaint cafe. All in all I really enjoy this painting a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment